Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lending a Helping Hand

Every morning when I wake up, I turn on the TV to watch the news so I can see how the weather is going to be for the day. According to my dear ol' weather man, it was going to be 80% chance of rain. He went on to say that we will not see any rain until this evening (around 4pm) and no severe weather heading our way.

It was about 12:15, when me and my teacher assistant were laying our children down to nap, after lunch. Then all of sudden the bottom fell out and we received a code gray over our radios in the classroom. Code gray for us mean a tornado warning. Then I thought, I don't remember the weather man saying all of this earlier. But it was all good. I was cool. I thought a meteorologist job is the only occupation you can have, whereas if your forecast is off a tinch or alot, you can guarantee to still have a job the next day.

But anyway, after waking up the children and getting them ready so moms can pick them up around 2pm, it was time for me to go home. So I signed my little girl (Ketirah) out of her class and we left to go home. Now mind you, it was still pouring down rain.
When I loaded my daughter in the car, I realized that I had my husband's clothes in my car that I was suppose to put in the cleaners yesterday. I was ready to go home, but I thought I'll just go ahead and pick up my son (Michael) from the bus stop and from there go to the cleaners, which is only about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the traffic.

After I picked up Michael, I proceed to go to the cleaners. It was still raining cats and dogs. So as I was driving, I saw a poor young lady walking in the rain in the opposite direction of where I was going. My first instinct was to turn around and give her a ride to her destination. So, I did. I pull on the side of the road and offered a ride. She was so grateful. When she got in the car, she was crying and soak and wet. She offered me gas money. I refused. She said that she was on her way home. So, I took her home. I reassured her that she was going to be OK and to get out those wet clothes so that she won't catch a cold. After I dropped her off, I went on my way to take the clothes to the cleaners.

Here I thought my plan was to drop off my husband's (Larry) clothes to the cleaners. But God's plan was to put me in the right place and at the right time to help someone in need. I am glad that I was obedient to God and didn't get caught up with how bad the weather was or getting to the cleaners before they closed. If you ever in a position to help someone in need, do so. It is a great feeling in your spirit when you can be a blessing to someone else.


Your Sister in Christ,
Toia

3 comments:

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

I love it! God is so good! I love that you were willing to be used in that way. A lot of people would not have been sensitive enough to do that!

Randi Jo :) said...

that is an awesome story! You should be proud! :)