Friday, July 11, 2008

Willingness Versus Willfulness

During my bible study time, I came across two words: willingness and willfulness. Although the words are almost spelled the same, you may even think their meaning is almost the same...........NOT! These words are complete opposites from each other.

According to the Webster's Dictionary......
Willingness - Cheerful compliance: For example - "he expressed his willingness to help".

Willfulness - The trait of being prone to disobedience and lack of discipline.

Isn't that something? There are others that fall into the category of willingness. Better known as synonyms to all the english scholars. :)

bounteousness - To be a willing servant of Christ is to have a trait of bounteousnes (an overflowing of God's blessings). You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. (Psalm 23:5)

devotion - To be a willing servant of Christ is to be devoted to God and only Him.
You shall have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)

fight - As a willing servant of Christ, you have enlisted in God's army (training and preparing
yourself everyday for spiritual battles and spiritual warfare). "Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:10-12)


forgiveness - As a willing servant of Christ, you are asking God to forgive you of all your sins
In addition, you are asking God to fix your heart to forgive people in your life, who have hurt you in one way or another, so that you can move forward in the direction God wants you to go. "Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. Lead us not into temptation." (Luke 11:4)

good humouredness, good naturedness, good-temperedness - As a willing servant of Christ, you are saying that no matter what obstacle I am going through, I will have a positive outlook on it. I will count it all joy and operate daily in the fruit of the spirit. "Count it all joy when you fall into various trials." (James 1:1) "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." (Galatians 5:22-23)

helpful - As a willing servant of Christ, you are not suppose to be selfish. You are willing to help others in need. You are also committed to help people find their way to Christ. God will give you all the help you need to be helpful to others. "I will lift up my eyes to the hills--From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:1-2)

obliging - As a willing servant of Christ, you are oblige to do whatever work or ministry that God has called you to do w/o mumbling and complaining. To be obliged is to take pleasure in and delight. (For example, You take pleasure in God's word and living a life that is in right-standing with God. Or.... I take delight in the work God has called me to do.) "I long for Your salvation, O LORD, And Your law [is] my delight." (Psalm 119:174)

openness - As a willing servant, you are open. You are willing to open up to God's ways and be close to everything and everyone that can hinder your relationship with Him. You are open to all the possibilities God has for you. "Open my eyes (my heart), that I may see wondrous things (with my heart) from Your law." (Psalm 119:18 [emphasis mine])

receive, receptiveness - As a willing servant of Christ, you are humble and receptive to God's word and His instruction on how to live life daily. You not a hearer of the word only, but a doer.
"Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." (James 1:21-22)


teachableness - As a willing servant of Christ, you should be teachable. You are not supposed to be a know-it-all. God wants to teach us how to teach others. God wants to teach us His ways, His word, and etc. How can you lead, when you are not willing to be taught on how to follow?
"Show me Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You [are] the God of my salvation; On You I wait all the day." (Psalm 25:4-5)

"Teach me Your way, O LORD, And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies." (Psalm 27:11)

"Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name." (Psalm 86:11)

Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, And I shall keep it [to] the end. (119:33)

Teach me to do Your will, For You [are] my God; Your Spirit [is] good. Lead me in the land of uprightness. (psalm 143:10)




You see, when you decide to be a willing servant of Christ, you take on a whole lot of characteristics (like the ones listed above), which God will perfect in you as time passes. As a wiilling servant, you are also telling God that you are ready, willing, and able to do what needs to be done to fulfill His plan for your life.

On the other hand, if you are a willful one. You lack discipline and walk in disobedience. You are heading nowhere fast. Your footsteps are not order by the Lord. You are doing and saying any and everything that is contrary to God. God needs a willing servant not a willful one. Willing servants take the narrow gate, while the willful ones wants to take the wide road (the easy way out). "Enter by the narrow gate; for wide [is] the gate and broad [is] the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it." (Matthew 7:13)

One thing you must understand is that being a willing servant of Christ is not some 9 to 5 job. You can't clock in and out, Monday through Friday. Then be a willful servant on the weekend. It's a 24/7 thing. You can say, "Yes" to God one day and "No" to God on another.

You can identify a willing servant through their conversations, spiritual walk, their fellowship, and their genuiness to help and serve others. Most importantly, their desire to do God's will.

So ask yourself - "Lord, am I a willing servant?" Consider that question a moment of self-evaluation.


Prayer: Lord, please give me a willing heart to do the work you have called me to do. I ask for forgiveness for anytime I was doing things willfully and not willingly. I am your willing servant. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


I pray this post has been a blessing to your spirit.




Your Sister in Christ,
Toia

1 comment:

Ane said...

This is a great reminder for me! Thank you!!