Monday, February 4, 2008

Rest in Jesus

This past weekend at my church, we had the pleasure of the Lee Singers of Lee University (Cleveland, TN) to grace us with their presence. They are a Christian choir full of young adults. The songs was full of praise and worship. The songs they sang penetrated your heart and it was soothing to my soul. The presence of God in our church was peaceful and gentle. Before the last song was sung, the choir director read Matthew 11:28-30:

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

I read the scripture again when I was at home. Once again, I felt at rest. And that's what God wants us to do. He wants us to rest in Him. God wants to give us a spiritual deep tissue massage. A massage that will remove all the burdens and tension that causes us to be weighed down. But in order for that to happen, we have to humbly submit ourselves and lay down on His massage table. God wants us at rest and at peace with ourselves so that we can be in a stable mindset to hear what He is saying, when He speaks to us. Burdens don't lift us up. They only push us down away from God. I am challenging you to rest in God. Whatever thoughts, emotions or situations that are weighing you down, give it to God. God cannot carry what we don't give Him. Let go and let God have His way.

How you might do this? You can start by reading burdens lifter scriptures such as:
1 Peter 5:6-7, John 14:27, Psalm 23


Another thing you can do is listen to soothing worship music (instrumental or lyrical) for at least 15 to 30 minutes. While you listen to the music, lay down either on the floor or couch and make yourself comfortable. Then begin to meditate on the goodness of God. Meditate on things or people that make you happy. You can even visualize yourself on beautiful sandy beach with sky blue waters. Basically, anything positive that will take your mind off the negative.


Your sister in Christ,
Toia

No comments: