Saturday, April 6, 2013

Cheer Up or Tear Down?



"....An encouraging word CHEERS a person up."
(Proverbs 12:25) nlt




I love encouraging and inspiring people through my words. It's a wonderful feeling to lift someone's spirit. I just pray more people would take the time to build up people with their words, rather than tear them down. Having people tear you down, ridicule, or "joking" around with offensive, degrading, or disrespectful words, is anything but a great feeling. It hurts, agitates, and can have a very negative impact on one's spirit.










For example, when we have family function, my granddad loves to always and do mean always point out and I quote "How big my butt is" or "If I eat another bite of food (granted it's my first bite from my meal) I will be as big as my momma." or my favorite (sarcasm here)..."Hey everyone this one here (pointing to me) looks like she's pregnant!" (By the way I'm not that big.)



Can you say WOW!! I know right! Please tell me where the encouraging, loving words are in these statements. (Which is why I rarely attend family functions.) My family defends him by saying that's how he loves. But I know according to God's word, Love is not offensive, hurtful, disrespectful in any way shape or form. Because I know who I am in Christ Jesus, fearfully and wonderfully made, I know that I do not have to take it or stand for anyone (including family members) talking to me in any kind of way.















We are to lift our people up, edify them with our words; encouraging them, whether they are family or not. We can't say we love God; yet we kill people's spirits with our words, pulling them further away from the Kingdom of God. We are soul winners not soul losers. 

I am so blessed that God has connected me with a group of people from my church (that I call family; others my sisters) who builds me up emotionally and spiritually. The conversations we have are life-giving. We cheer each other up with our words. It's a liberating feeling every time we get together. So ask yourself....Do you cheer up or tear down?  Words can build as well as let you down.



















Photobucket

No comments: