Friday, October 22, 2010

Humble as a Child

AT THAT time the disciples came up and asked Jesus, Who then is [really] the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? And He called a little child to Himself and put him in the midst of them, And said, Truly I say to you, unless you repent (change, turn about) and become like little children [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving], you can never enter the kingdom of heaven [at all]. Whoever will humble himself therefore and become like this little child [trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving] is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-4)



To be or not be humble? That is the question. However, to be humble is the right answer. Many people might think humble is a sign of weakness. I am here to tell you that is simply not true. According to the bible, humility is a great thing, especially if that's your ticket to heaven.
Dictionary.com defines humble as:

1. not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.

2. having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.

3. low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.

4. courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.

5. low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy.


God wants us to be humble. That's a wonderful characteristic to possess. God doesn't want us to prideful, arrogant, or have a huge ego. Humbling ourselves before God is acknowledging Him as having full authority over our lives.

Humble(s) - [tapeinoo; Strong's #5013] - Literally, "to make lowly," debase, humble, lower oneself. It describes a person who is devoid of all arrogance and self-exaltation - a person who is willingly submitted to God and His will. (The Spirit-Filled Bible)


We should come humbly God, worshipping Him in Spirit and in truth (John 4:24). Imagine lowering yourself from adultlikeness to childlikeness. How wonderful is that. Pursuing God with a lowly, loving, and forgiving heart is what He wants and desires from us. Please God wants to be childlike not childish. There is a big difference. Childlike spirit is one of the many keys to understanding God's kingdom.


Heavenly Father, I pray that we will always enter into your presence with a childlike spirit. Dear Father, I ask for forgiveness for all the times I have been prideful, stubborn, and/or even arrogant. You are my one true God. Thank you Jesus!! Amen.






Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I only knew one human being who was like this 100% all of the time--my dad. He was humility personified, a child at heart and character, never saw others above him and was quick to repent and approach God with his heart in his hand. I was blessed with such an earthly father who made it so easy to recognize my heavenly Father.

If we falt short of it; however, it is good to know that in Christ we are all that He is and can approach the throne in boldness. For me, all I could do when I sense God's presence in prayer or worship is cry in awe anyhow so I lose all focus on me regardless. He is just too awesome and His splendour and grandeour gets all the spotlight. Takes my breath away.

Thank you for sharing this and thank you for stopping by my little corner. Have a beautiful weekend.