Saturday, January 31, 2015

FTT = Languishing




So far, I have been a few of my A-Ha moments from "The ME I Want To BE" reading. I think I have read the epitome of all of my A-HA moments. Well, at least for now, :)

I never knew what FTT meant until I started reading this book by John Ortberg. FTT means Failure To Thrive.

 
To Thrive means to grow vigorously, FLOURISH;
to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances



If you fail to thrive, then you fail to grow. It, also, means that you are not willing to fight, to take a stand. You will give up at a moment's notice when things seem hard or if there's a bump in the road.


John Ortberg said it best. Languishing is Failure To Thrive. "Languishing is the condition of someone who may be able to function but has lost a sense of hope and meaning. Languishing is not the presence of mental illness; it is the absence of mental and emotional vitality." This is good time to pause and ponder.


From there John Ortberg went on to define acedia, which means weariness of soul and inability to delight in life.

 
 
"To languish is to feel inner deadness. 
 LANGUISHING is the opposite of FLOURISHING." 

 
I must take a moment to ponder on this. Could you imagine how it must feel to you have the "inability to delight in life"; the inability to "stop and smell the roses."? When you choose not to live and enjoy life, the only thing left is death. To be spiritual dead is not a good feeling at all.

No matter how hard it gets, you must remain hopeful and faithful. Don't focus on what everybody wants or what you THINK you should be because you don't want to disappoint anyone. When you attempt to pursue a path that's not intended by God, it doesn't lead you to a good place.



"When we give up on our growth and life's purpose, we languish." 



WOW!! Now, if this doesn't blow your mind, I don't know what will. In order for me to become God's best version of myself, I must not stunt, give up on and/or languish my growth.












Photobucket

No comments: