Wednesday, April 16, 2008

W.O.W Wednesday

This Words of Wisdom (W.O.W) Wednesday is about resting. Sometimes our schedule can get so hectic, that it seems impossible to put 30 minutes aside to take a nap or even go to bed at a decent time. To tell you the truth, we barely can squeeze in some prayer time.

We are on the go nonstop from the time we rise in the morning (after having maybe 4 hours of sleep) to the time we lay our tired heads on the pillow. To cope, we will drink loads and loads of coffee, energy drinks, caffeine sodas or just about anything to help overcome the sluggishness and tiredness in our bodies. In an essence it's pretty sad, but hey that's how it is 99.9% of the time.

Bottomline, this is not the way God wants us to live our lives daily. The last thing He wants is for us to feel tired all the time, especially too tired for Him. Our bodies is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. So, this is where wisdom has to come in.

We have to be wise when it comes to getting rest. Not getting enough rest can result in a low immune system, not being able to think clearly, and eating an unhealthy diet (fast food nonstop, doughnut for breakfast).

Re-evaluate your schedule. See what things you can eliminate for a day or two so that it will give you more time for your family, yourself, and especially for resting. For example, I will spend literally hours on the internet.......blogging, reading others' blog (which I love), searching for this and searching for that. So I decided to take a few days off from the computer, which means no posting. :( As a result, I was able to get dinner on the table early, study my bible a little bit more, and get to bed an earlier time. Re-routing myself from one thing that took so much time and directing it to few little things that didn't take a lot time was very refreshing to me.

I am even considering taking a day off of work, while my children are at school and hubby at work, to get some "me" time for a few hours.

Once again, see what you can eliminate out your schedule for a two or three days. So, you can use that time to do other things, but mainly get some rest and relaxation. Hey, even God had to rest after creating the world. Now, if God had to take some time to rest, what does that say about us. Please, whatever you do, do not feel guilty for having to take a nap or to take a time out and rest. Taking time to rest will relieve some stress in your life.

Have you ever started to pray or read the bible and find yourself dozing off to sleep? And on top of that, it feels like the best sleep you had in days or months. I believe that's God seeing, within our hearts, how tired we are, so He begins to caress our spirits, like a mom rocking her newborn baby, to rest and sleep in His presence. You may think that sounds weird. But think about it......

If we are tired, we cannot hear God clearly and He cannot use us the way He wants to. The best thing we can do is get some R&R for our sake and God's.

Be wise and get some rest..........now!






Your Sister in Christ,
Toia

12 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

YES !:) I totally agree Toia and I THANK YOU for this blog. I am so glad to have my blog private now - for many reasons --- one being that there will be less pressure to be consistent with it. It really purely is just a journal now --- to write only when I feel like writing.

I used to be the type that was so over committed to everything. I am such a driver that I was just go go go action action action do do do...... and God healed me from that. Only when He took away everything I defined my life by, did I find out what my life was all about, who I was, and who He was. It is beautiful. I LOVE how simple my life is now and how much time I have. I have no doubt that I feel so close to God right now because I'm well rested and have so much down time. I am so thankful for this point in my life!!!!!!!!! :)

another great post as usual! :)

Randi Jo :) said...

P.S.

Psalm 23 my hubby's favorite Psalm tells us that God MAKES us rest! :) Lie down in green pastures....that down time with Him is so rejuvenating isn't it? Nothing else matters in those moments... in that moment you are eternity-focused and this world and it's meaningless stuff just vanishes.

HE will MAKE us rest if we don't plan rest on our own...

I loved that thought about how He allows us to nod off sometimes when reading His word -- so true.

Jan Parrish said...

Great advise. "Me time" makes Mommy happy, and as a result, the entire family. I need some R & R too!

Melanie said...

Great Word! I hope you are having a "restful" weekend! God bless...

Brenda said...

That is so true. My husband has always said there's a big difference between doing business vs. busy-ness. Sometimes we can fritter away our time in busy-ness and still not accomplish all the the Lord has for us. And I'm speaking to myself!
Great post, thanks for the gentle reminder. I'm gonna go take a nap now!!!
Have a wonderful restful weekend.
Brenda :)

Rebekah said...

Great post! I didn't understand the importance of getting enough rest until I started working 12-hour graveyard shifts. I've had to learn to find ways to rest because I've seen the consequences in my life of not having enough rest. It truly affects everything, and I agree that it's just not how we should live. Thanks for the reminder!

Randi Jo :) said...

Hey! Just wanted to see wehre you were....thinking of you, miss you! :)

Melanie said...

Miss you sweetie! Hope you doing well!

Rebekah said...

Just wanted to say hello! Hope you're doing well. Have a blessed week!

Daughter of Annie said...

Hi - I noticed you have not posted hope all is ok.

enjoy the summer...

Jan Parrish said...

Toia,

Please stop by and let me know all is OK. Praying for you!

Jan Parrish said...

Did you stop blogging? There is an award for you on my blog.