Thursday, April 30, 2009

Don't Stop!! Keep Going!!

Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. Stop. Are you known for starting and stopping different things, but never finishing? Many of us can get so fired up about a new project, idea, job, business, etc. We become enthusiastic, gung-ho, and determine more than ever to make it work. But then after 2-3 weeks, the fire dies. The enthusiasm is gone. You not so determine anymore to see anything through. Everything sort of fades away. A day or two goes by, t hen weeks, then months. Until, eventually, you don't work on your new business or special project at all.

Why is that?!? I believe there is more than one answer to this question. One answer to this question is that you're not focus enough or not at all. We are easily distracted. We tend to take our focus off of God and began to focus on distractions all around us, which hinder us from pressing forward toward the finishing line. In order to stay focus, we must always read and meditate on God's word. "I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (1 Peter 3:14)

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things." (Phil. 4:8)

Another thing that keeps us from finishing is la-zi-ness. "Some people are so lazy that they won't even lift a finger to feed themselves." (Proverbs 19:24). Lazy means disinclined to action or exertion; averse to labor; idle; shirking work. inactive; slothful; slow; sluggish. Idleness is part of being lazy. You can't get anything done by being idle. An idle mind is a devil's workshop. To be lazy is to be inactive. When you're inactive, you lack faith. "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:26). Lazy people cannot put faith into action. Everything you start, you must have faith in God and believe that you will finish. But how can you finish, if you are lazy/inactive to the point where nothing is getting done.

So far, we talked about not staying focus and laziness. What about procrastination? Ouch! Procrastination is the epitome of starting and stopping. With procrastination you pick up your project then you put it off for another day. You pick it up and put it off. Then slowly but surely its no longer picking up and then putting it off. It's just putting it off, putting it off, and putting it off.

According to the Webster's dictionary, procrastination means slowness as a consequence of not getting around to it. People who procrastinate put off what needs to be done now and more than likely focus on other things that are mainly mere distractions.

Here are a few quotes that say it all about procrastination:

"Procrastination is the thief of time." -Edward Young

"Do you know what happens when you give a procrastinator a good idea? Nothing!" Donald Gardner

"Procrastinators put on talk and put off work." -Toia Thompson

"Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness; no laziness; no procrastination; never put off till tomorrow what you can do today." -Lord Chesterfield

"Procrastinators do not take a break. They take their time." -Toia Thompson

"A year from now you may wish you had started today." -Karen Lamb

How soon not now, becomes never. -Martin Luther King

"Procrastination is the fear of success. People procrastinate because they are afraid of the success that they know will result if they move ahead now. Because success is heavy, carries a responsibility with it, it is much easier to procrastinate and live on the "someday I'll" philosophy." -Denis Waitley

Now, let's see..."Procrastination is the fear of success," which brings me to my next point - fear. Fear is definitely an answer to that "why do I start and stop" question. There are some people who are not afraid of success. They embrace it. Yes, I think those people become afraid as they move up the ladder of success. The only thing is they don't let that ounce of fear stop them from accomplishing there goal(s). When you start and head towards the finish line, don't stop because all of sudden you become afraid of being successful and afraid of all the responsibilities that come with it.

When God starts to bless and open doors for you, you can't stop. You can't let fear sit in your spirit because that is what the devil wants you to do. God does not bless you only to become afraid of success and its responsibilities. God blesses you to be strong and to grow in faith. Besides, all this responsibilities that you are so-called afraid of are not your responsibilities. It's God.

God will instruct and give you wisdom on how to handle all responsibilities. If you don't believe me, then let's see what the word of God says. "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

"...casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

If you are still not convince, try this on for size.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you," (John 14:26). Jesus said that the Holy Spirit is here to help and teach you all things. That means the Holy Spirit is going to help you with all the responsibilities that may come your way and teach you how to handle them.

God knew that there was going to be a time that we may become afraid in going forth in excellence. That's why Jesus went on to say, "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

Last, but not least. "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7) The list can go on and on of the things that hinder us and cause us to start and stop. In all that you do, when it comes to following your dreams or fulfilling God's plan for your life, don't stop. Don't give in to Satan's tactics. Keep moving. Keep on keepin' on. No matter what...God will be there to guide, instruct, and even pick you up if or when you fall. "For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)






Your Sister in Christ,

Free Signature Generator

Free Signature Generator

4 comments:

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I NEED This post. I have been putting off a lot of "things" finishing my book, working out, eating right, visiting loved ones and concentrating at work. I keep trying to convince myself that "tomorrow" I'm going to put more energy into "it"

I have got to get back to the task at hand. I have been exhausted; mentally and physically. I have been doing my job and that of my previous supervisor since Jan 11 and I can't seem to keep up. I can put in the papers to get additional pay and haven't even filled out the forms yet...

I keep saying I want my old life back, but GOD is in charge of this life, not me. I just need to start with my mental and the physical will follow suit. I have to commit to the "decision" to get started and stay on track. The Lord gave us free will and I'm not taking full advantage of mine.

Thanks so much for all of these words and the definitions to remind me of what I'm not doing.

Love you.

crochet lady said...

You are really telling it like it is. I often get bogged down and don't finish something because I am afraid of failing, not wanting all the effort to be for nothing. But that's such a lame excuse. There is value in the process and trying is never a waste of time.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Omah's Helping Hands said...

Great post Toia. The Bible clearly covers all those areas you discuss here. Blessings to you

God's Girl said...

Hey there girl.
I wanted to get back to you about Aaron (the little guy we are praying for) and his blog site.

Here it is: http://www.aarondrobinson.com/

Thanks so much for your prayers! You are such a sweetheart!

Love to you friend!