Thursday, April 3, 2008

Thursday Thirteen ~ Meaning of 13 Female Names














Thirteen Female Names & What They Mean!!


What's in a name?? I always find it interesting to find out meaning of people's names. So, that's why I decided to make this my Thursday Thirteen. These are random names - no particular order.



1. Emma - All containing & universal





2. Melanie - The French form of the Latin Melania, derived from the Greek 'melas', meaning "black, dark". The French spelling is Mélanie.




3. Jennifer - White, fair, smooth (Jennifer joined the US top 1000 names in 1938. It rose until in 1970 it was the #1 name in USA, it held that place until 1985 and has been in decline ever since. In 2006 it was the 51st most popular name in America.)

4. Denise - God of wine; mountain of Zeus

5. Randi - Counsel; beautiful

6. Elizabeth - My God is vow (From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheva meaning "my God is a vow".In the Old Testament, Elisheva is the wife of Aaron. In the New Testament, the name is borne by a kinswoman of the Virgin Mary and mother of John the Baptist.)

7. Rachel - Ewe (In the Old Testament of the Bible, Rachel was a wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin.)

8. Jan - God is Gracious (Jan is used as a short form of John in several different languages and is only seen as a unisex name in English.)


9. Rebecca or Rebekkah - To Tie/To bind (Sometimes touted as meaning 'to tie/to bind' or 'heifer', this name is of doubtful meaning and probably has its roots in Aramaic. The Biblical Rebecca was the wife of Isaac in the Old Testament and the mother of Jacob and Esau.)


10. Katherine - Pure (From the Greek Aikaterine of uncertain origin, but associated with the Greek 'katharos' (pure). The name Katherine has been popular since the Dark Ages, and was used by many European royal families over the centuries.

11. Megan - Pearl (Megan is a Welsh diminutive form of Margaret, from Greek 'margaron', "pearl", and thus means "little pearl".

12. Tammy - Twins


13. Amanda - She who must loved (Amanda is the feminine gerundive of the Latin verb 'amo' (I love) and thus literally means 'she who must be loved'. In the US, Amanda was particularly popular in the 1980s. Amanda can also be a male name which is Sanskrit in origin.

If you know the meaning of your name and would like to share, please do. Next week, I will do the meaning of 13 male names.



Happy Thursday!!!






Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!







Your Sister In Christ,


Toia

5 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

what a cool post Toia! You're so cool!!

what does Toia mean!??! :) Thanks for including me! I am shocked you found my name - especially Randi as a girl! :) how cool!!! THANK YOU! :)

Jennifer Chasse said...

I am sort of glad Jennifer is losing popularity. Once in 9th grade I had a history class with 6 other Jennifer's in it. And the teacher made us sit alphabetically and 4 of us came in a row. So if one of us was absent in the row, she'd get all flustered.

Robin said...

Hi Toia,

I love to read about name meanings...

I have a Christian name book that lists my name:

Robin

Language/Cultural Origin: English

Inherent Meaning: Shining Fame

Spiritual Connotation: Victorious Spirit

Scripture: Psalm 18:32 - It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect.

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

Great TT list! It makes me want to find out the meaning of all our names! What source did you use for these?

Melanie said...

I really love the meaning of our names. For years I did not care for the meaning of my name...dark. My middle name redeems it...Renee.

When we chose names for our children it was all based their meanings!