Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thankful Thursday




First let me say that it feels so good to be back!!! This past two weeks made me realize I would have been taking a blogging break rather I had wanted to or not. So, when God placed upon my heart to take a blogging break He knew the trials and tribulations that lie ahead.

Let me explain: For the first week of my two weeks sabbatical, I had the flu or (flu-like symptoms), which many of you know is not a picnic at all. Then, as I was starting to get back on my feet, my middle son (Michael - age 12) was beginning to feel sick. At the beginning stages, Michael seemed to have had the same flu-like symptons like I did. The only difference is that he had a fever of 102.5 and I really didn't have one. My fever was more like a low-grade, running at about 100.

Anyway, I gave him some over-the-counter cold and flu cough medicine to break his fever and it did. This was the weekend right before my children were scheduled to go back to school after the Christmas Holidays. At first Michael seemed to be getting better by Wednesday. I thought, if anything, he could go back to school Thursday (Friday the latest). But then by Wednesday night around 7pm, I noticed he was breathing heavier than normal. So to be on the safe side, I decided to take him to the emergency room. I thought (if anything) Michael was very congested. The doctor would give him a few breathing treatments to clear things, give me prescription or two, get them filled, give it to Michael when we got home and he would feel better.

However, it didn't work that way at all. The doctor ordered x-rays to be taken and came to found out Michael had pneumonia. The ER doctor was ready to give me a couple of prescriptions to get filled that would have helped clear up the pneumonia. But as part of the procedure, they had to check Michael's oxygen in his blood.

At that time, Michael's oxygen in his blood was very low. We are talking about between 80 and 84. Whereas, it suppose to be at least 95 to 100. The doctor said that wasn't good, which was the reason why Michael was breathing so heavily. So the doctor try several things to bring his oxygen level back to normal, but nothing worked. Now it's 2 o'clock in the morning (Thursday morning) and the doctor informed me that they would have to transfer Michael to MUSC hospital which is about 30-35 minutes from where we live.

MUSC is the only hospital in my lowcountry area equipped to handle cases such as Michael, especially with pneumonia. After the ambulance came to transfer Michael to the hospital, I zoomed home to get a few things (more like an overnight bag) and high-tailed it to MUSC (downtown Charleston) at around 3 in the A.M. Larry (my DH) was home with our other two children. Finally, I get to MUSC about a quarter to 4. By the time I filled out paperwork and Michael was ready, it was almost 6:30 in the morning.

The nurses immediately put Michael on oxygen at about 6 liters. Of course, by this time, Michael and I were exhausted. We were able to get at least an hour of sleep before Michael went for another x-ray. This was when the doctor realized that Michael pneumonia was more severe than they anticipated. All of it was on his lower right lobe of his lung and directly on his air sac.....Not good at all.

I prayed and declared Michael's healing in the name of Jesus. One night in the hospital turned into 6 days. Each day I thanked God for his healing, even though the healing process seemed very slow. But I am proud to announce that Michael has fully recovered. He is back in school (after missing a whole week). The oxygen in is blood is right on target!!! Hallelujah!!!

So...what am I thankful for??? You guessed it!!! Michael's healing and the strength God gave me through Jesus and by the power of the Holy Spirit to be by my son's side every day and minute. I am also thankful for my dear husband, Larry, who was more than capable of holding down the fort at home and taking care of our other two children. He brought me dinner and anything else I had needed, while I was in the hospital with Michael.

Even though the New Year got off to a rough start, I am more than thankful. It could have been worst. With that in mind, I definitely count it all joy!!!


"BLESS the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name!Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,..."
(Psalm 103:1-3)




For more Thankful Thursday, please join Lynn @ Spiritually Unequal Marriage




Photobucket

2 comments:

Janet said...

I am so happy to hear your testimony about God's healing plan for your soon. God is good.

I am glad you are back.

Blessings & Hugs
Janet Cowan

Anonymous said...

Oh, praise GOD!!! I'm so sorry you and your family had to endure this, but I am so glad that healing was at the end of the trial.

:-)

My TT post is HERE.