Saturday, October 17, 2009

Walk, Walk, Walk

Just the other morning, I had to take my little girl's lunch to school because she accidentally left it home. But anyway, as I pull up to school, it seems the parking lot was still crowded from the morning rush traffic. I was trying to find a parking spot in front, but then the Holy Spirit prompted me to park in a spot where I had to walk a few feet in order to go through the front entrance of the school. It was a beautiful brisk morning. I wasn't in a rush or anything so I had no problem walking.

As I began to walk towards the front of the school, that's when God spoke to me and help me realize that a lot of us don't want to walk anymore. We just want to dash in and dash out. God was not referring to a physical walk (like a walk around the park), but spiritually walking with Him. We don't want to take the time to walk with Him and get to know Him, like you would do on a first date when you are getting to know each other for the first time.

God wants us to walk with Him; to take the time out of our busy schedule to talk, get to know Him, and build a relationship with Him. According to the Webster's Dictionary to walk means to pursue a course of action or way of life : conduct oneself. When you walk with God, you are pursuing Him, His way of life, which is a life of praise, worship, abundance, joy, hope, peace, love, and etc.

"Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him." (Deut. 8:6)

"And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul." (Deut. 10:12)


In the bible, there's a lot of scriptures telling us to walk in one form or another. In my opinion, I think it's because walking allows you to stroll instead of running or rushing so that you will have time to stop and ponder, to hear the voice of God and take heed to what He is saying.


Just as walking can be effective to your body, when it comes to exercising; walking with God (instead of running) can be very effective in increasing and building your relationship with God. As your relationship increases with God, your love and the idea of knowing Him increases. When I talk about knowing God, I'm not talking about knowing Him as if God is a mere aquaintance, but knowing God (experiencing Him, His presence and all He has to offer).

The greek word for "know" is "ginosko." The Strong's Concordance number is 1097. In the W.E. Vines dictionary, ginosko means to be taking in knowledge, to come to know, recognize, understand," or "to understand completely." Knowing is about understanding God completely, the knowledge of His Truth and the importance of it.

If haven't already, try walking with God. He's already walking with us. He just waiting for some of us to acknowledge His presence. God knows us already. "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my spokesman to the world." He loved us since day one," (Jer. 1:5). And the love He has for us go far and beyond any love a person can give. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life," (John 3:16).

After reading this, I pray that you will take time to walk with God, hold His Hand, get to know Him, experience Him and His beautiful and majestic presence. Here are a few scripture in reference "to walk":


"For the LORD God [is] a sun and shield; The LORD will give grace and glory; No good [thing] will He withhold From those who walk uprightly." - (Psalm 84:11)

"Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name." (Psalm 86:11)

"Blessed [are] the people who know the joyful sound! They walk, O LORD, in the light of Your countenance." - (Psalm 89:15)

"Blessed [are] the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD!" - (Psalm 119:1)

"I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." - (Galatian 5:16)

"This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it." (2 John1:6)






Photobucket

6 comments:

From the Heart said...

A great post. Good, sound words we all need to hear and heed. I desire a closer walk with God and I am trying.
Blessings,
AliceE.

LisaShaw said...

You shared your heart beautifully in the LORD. Keep walking with HIM dear one. There is nothing at all like walking with the LORD on our journey.

Blessings.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Amen! Great post! But I must say my toes are feeling stepped on. This is the 2nd blog post I have read tonight about getting to know God better. Sounds like I need to start walking. Thanks for that gentle reminder! Hope your week is off to a great start!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS POST! That's why I'm taking time away from blogging and facebook. I haven't given up completely, but I am walking more with the LORD than I am with my laptop. HE has revealed a great deal to me in these past weeks and I'm excited about my future. Love and miss you dearly! Still your big-sis (smile)

Amydeanne said...

everybody is looking for quick fixes, but in the long run the good basic walk is what we need!
great post!

Daphine said...

Beautifully written friend! THANKS for the encouragement!